The Pelvic Floor Muscles come under strain during pregnancy and childbirth and so need to be strengthened.
A strong pelvic floor helps prevent stress incontinence (the slight leaking of urine that occurs when you cough or laugh).
- Imagine you are trying to prevent yourself from passing wind
- At the same time, you are trying to stop the flow of urine in mid-stream
- The feeling is described as ‘squeeze and lift’ – closing and drawing up the back and front passages
- Continue to lift for as long as you can (up to 10 seconds)
- Release, rest and repeat
- Aim to build up to 10 repetitions at a time.