Leg cramps are painful and can sometimes occur during the later months of pregnancy, especially at night Cramps can be caused by the weight increase during the pregnancy and poor circulation. They are more painful when the muscle is tired.
If you experience leg cramps:
- Avoid standing or sitting with your legs crossed for long periods of time
- Drink plenty of water
- Take regular mild exercise like walking
- Have a warm bath before bed to relax your muscles
Back pain is very common during your pregnancy, especially in the later stages.
If you experience back pain:
- Be careful about your posture: good posture is vital. Stand tall, shoulders relaxed, buttocks tucked in and weight spread evenly on both feet.
- Put a pillow behind your back when you are sitting
- Avoid lifting heavy objects
- Take regular exercise