Makes 6 fish cakes
500g floury potatoes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
225g smoked salmon
3 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbsp finely chopped chives
1 tbsp capers
Juice of half a lemon
1 egg, beaten
75g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7 and grease a small baking tray with olive oil.
- Place the potatoes with a pinch of salt into a large saucepan and fill with water. Bring to the boil for 10 minutes then pour all but about 4cm of water out of the pan and cook on a low heat for another 20-30 minutes or until cooked. Peel while still hot and mash until free of lumps.
- Meanwhile, layer slices of smoked salmon on a baking tray and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes.
- Put the mashed potato, onions, chives, capers, lemon juice, egg and breadcrumbs into a large mixing bowl. Roughly tear the smoked salmon into smaller pieces and add to the bowl. Mix everything together and season with black pepper.
- Shape the mixture into 6 cakes, about 2cm thick. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil butter in a large frying pan on a medium heat then fry the fish cakes for 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy. Serve with a green salad, lemon wedges and a spoon of reduced fat crème fraiche.