By Dr. Karen Lindsay and Professor Fionnuala McAuliffe
30g plain flour
30g low fat margarine
600ml low-fat milk
150g reduced fat cheddar cheese, grated
30g parmesan, grated
70g broccoli florets
70g cauliflower florets
40g wholemeal breadcrumbs
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
300g macaroni pasta
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/Fan 140°C/Gas 4.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the margarine then remove from the heat and stir in the flour. Return to the heat and gradually add the milk, stirring continuously, until it is all incorporated.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese until it melts. Add the mustard and season with a little salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling water for 10-12 minutes. Drain well then tip the macaroni into the sauce along with the broccoli and cauliflower and stir well to combine. Transfer the mixture into a medium oven-proof baking dish.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the grated parmesan and cayenne pepper in a bowl and sprinkle on top of the macaroni. Cook for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Fionnuala McAuliffe is Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at National Maternity Hospital Dublin.
Dr. Karen Lindsay is a Postdoctural Fellow