900g lean minced beef
2 eggs, beaten
75g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 x 400g tin of whole tomatoes
1 tsp caster sugar
2 tbsp chopped basil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas mark 4.
- Mix together the minced beef, eggs, breadcrumbs, parsley and parmesan in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Tip the mixture out onto a clean work surface and use your hands to gather it into a slightly flattened loaf shape (about 15cm x 23cm). Grease a roasting tin slightly larger than this and carefully transfer the meat loaf into it, adjusting the shape of the loaf to fit, if necessary.
- Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours, covering with foil for the last 30 minutes until set and firm.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, pour the olive oil into a saucepan on a gentle heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes without allowing it to brown.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, sugar and some salt and pepper and mix together using a wooden spoon to gently break up the tomatoes.
- Cook, partially covered with a lid, for 10-12 minutes or until the sauce has thickened a little. Remove from the heat and add the basil. Blend the sauce to a smooth paste in a blender or using a hand blender.
- Slice the meatloaf and serve with the sauce on the side, along with baby boiled potatoes and fresh green vegetables of your choice.