2 tbsp olive oil
700g lean minced beef
1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
2 red or yellow peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
100g baby sweet corn,
3 red or green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 x 400g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp brown sugar
- Pour the olive oil into a large saucepan on a high heat. Add the mince in batches, searing each batch quickly until well browned and then removing with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Once all the mince has been seared and removed from the pan, reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and garlic, cover with a lid and gently fry for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft.
- Return the meat to the pan and add the peppers, baby corn, chillies, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and some salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 hour or until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- When the meat is cooked, stir in the kidney beans, ground coriander and cumin and brown sugar. Simmer uncovered on a low-medium heat for a further 10 minutes
- Serve with basmati rice, coriander leaves, lime wedges and sour cream or crème fraiche.