4 chicken breasts, on the bone with skin removed
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 ½ pints chicken stock
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled, trimmed and chopped
10 -12 new baby potatoes washed
2 sticks of celery, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 sprig of thyme
1 bunch of parsley
- Heat the oil in a large pot and when it is hot, quickly brown the chicken breasts on all sides, about 30 seconds per side. Remove the browned chicken and set aside.
- Add the onion to the oil and cook it until it starts to soften. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the flour to the pot and mix well until it has soaked up the oil and juices.
- Put the onion mixture into a casserole dish and add the chicken, carrots, celery, potatoes, bay leaf, thyme and one sprig of parsley. Pour over the chicken stock and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, put the lid on the casserole dish and place in the oven.
- Cook for about 1 hour. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve with peas or other green vegetables.