300g basmati rice
1 tbsp olive oil
500g lean minced beef or lamb
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp curry powder
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
400g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tsp tomato puree
400ml beef stock
1 cooking apple, peeled and roughly chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
100g fresh green beans, chopped
100g baby sweet corn, chopped
1 tbsp mango chutney
Handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- Rinse the rice in cold water then place in a large saucepan with 500ml of water. Cover with a lid, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to stand, covered until ready to serve.
- Heat a large non-stick saucepan over a medium heat. Add the mince and cook for 2-3 minutes until browned, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the same saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 4-5 minutes or until the onions are soft. Return the meat to the pan and add the curry powder, stir together and cook for 1 minute. Season with a pinch of salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and stock, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the apple, pepper, beans, corn and chutney. Stir to mix and continue to simmer, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped coriander and serve the curry on a bed of the steamed basmati rice.