Chicken and broccoli bake
By Karen Lindsey & Professor Fionnuala McAuliffe
4 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
300g broccoli, cut into florets
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
200g extra-light cream cheese
150ml semi-skimmed milk
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp chopped parsley
Rind of ½ lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
125g wholemeal breadcrumbs
100g grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the whole chicken breasts and cook for 15 minutes or until cooked through and tender. Drain the water, transfer the chicken to a chopping board and chop into small chunks.
- Meanwhile, place the broccoli in a saucepan of water, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain the broccoli in a colander and set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil on a medium heat then add the onion and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, cream cheese, milk and nutmeg and stir together until the cheese has melted to form a thickened sauce. Season with a little salt and plenty of pepper, stir in the lemon rind then turn off the heat.
- Place the chicken pieces and broccoli into a casserole dish, pour over the sauce and top with the breadcrumbs and grated cheese. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned and crispy. Serve with a green salad.
Fionnuala McAuliffe is Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at National Maternity Hospital Dublin.
Dr. Karen Lindsay is a Postdoctural Fellow