By Dr. Ciara Mc Gowan and Ms Fiona Dunlevy
This vegetarian dish is packed with nutrients, making it ideal for all the family.
1 cup spinach, washed and stalks removed
8 oz instant lasagne sheets
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or low-fat cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed, or 2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 can beans, any variety, rinsed and drained
1 can tomatoes, undrained and mashed
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
1 ½ tablespoons margarine/butter
1 tablespoon white flour
1 ½ cups low-fat milk
½ cup grated low-fat cheese
Pinch ground nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
- Blanch or lightly steam the spinach until just wilted; drain well.
- For the vegetable sauce, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add the mushrooms and pepper and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomato paste, beans, tomatoes and herbs. Bring to a boil and simmer, partly covered, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- For the cheese sauce, melt the margarine in a saucepan or a microwave bowl. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring. (Cook for 30 seconds if using high heat in microwave).
- Remove from the heat. Gradually add the milk, stirring until smooth. Stir over medium heat until the sauce boils and thickens, or in microwave on high until boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, stir in the cheese, nutmeg and pepper.
- Pour half the vegetable sauce over the base of a lasagne pan. Cover with a layer of lasagne sheets, then half the spinach. Spread a layer of cheese sauce over the spinach. Top with the remaining vegetable sauce and remaining spinach. Place over a layer of lasagne sheets and finish with the remaining cheese sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan or cheddar cheese.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 40 minutes at 180°C. Remove the foil and bake for a further 30 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
This recipe was designed by Dr. Ciara Mc Gowan and Ms Fiona Dunlevy (Clinical Nutrition Manager) both Dietitian’s and members of INDI.