By Dr. Karen Lindsay & Professor Fionnuala McAuliffe
300g basmati rice
500g lean beef, cut into strips
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 brown onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
250g mushrooms, sliced
Zest and juice of 1 orange
1 tbsp chopped dill or ½ tsp dried dill
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
250g low-fat natural yoghurt
- Rinse the rice in cold water then place in a large saucepan with 500ml of water. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to stand with the lid left on, until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Dry-fry the meat in small batches for 2 minutes. Remove the meat and set aside.
- Using the same pan, heat the oil then add the onions and garlic and fry for 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Add the mushrooms and fry for 3 minutes, and then return the meat to the pan.
- Stir in the orange zest and juice then add the dill and season with a little salt and lots of pepper. Turn off the heat before mixing in the yoghurt.
- Spoon the steamed rice onto plates and top with the stroganoff. Serve with steamed vegetables.
Fionnuala McAuliffe is Professor of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at National Maternity Hospital Dublin.
Dr. Karen Lindsay is a Postdoctural Fellow